Wednesday 10 August 2011

Rocks in the belly / Jon Bauer

This book has won great praise for this first time author. I stopped reading half way through - too grim for me. An only child has difficulty dealing with the foster children his mum brings to the home. I couldn't find the exact words again but one comment was "like the cuckoo dropping its egg into someone elses nest, and we all know what happens to the real parents' egg when that happens". The parents natural child develops some very unnatural tendencies.
Dianne



Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Brian said...

Hi Di,
I loved this book (see my review on 16 April, 2011), but I can understand why you would choose to not read it through.
I saw this author spaek at the recent Sydney Writers Festival and a few people in the audience said while they could appreciate the book, they were livid with rage at the main character's cruelty to a cat. However, if you read the whole book, there is some redemption for the tortured soul that is the main character (he also redeems himself on the treatment of pets).