Saturday 6 August 2011

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: my year of magical reading / Nina Sankovitch

This is such a good book I have to buy my own copy for keeps after reading the library's copy.The author was a woman busy with work and family who struggled to cope with the too early death of her sister. She decides the therapy required is a year of reading - reading one book a day for a year.

Each chapter begins with a quote from some wise person eg "Words are alive and literature becomes an escape, not from, but into living. Cyril Connolly, The unquiet grave."

Nina blogs a review of each book read and soon readers from all over the world are sharing their
experience with the same book, and recommending others."Those two books - and all the great books I was reading - were about the complexity and entirety of the human experience. About the things we wish to forget and those we want more and more of. About how we react and how we wish we could react. Books are experience, the words of authors proving the solace of love, the fulfillment of family, the torment of war, and the wisdom of memory. Joy and tears, pleasure and pain: everything came to me while I read in my purple chair. I had never sat so still, and yet experienced so much."
Dianne



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: