Monday 13 June 2011

‘The Girl in Times Square’ by Paullina Simons

I have finally relented and ploughed through a novel by a much celebrated and recommended author Paullina Simmons.  A contemporary mix of love story and thriller it is also very much a ‘sick’ or ‘ill’ book. Lily is the twenty year old central character. Her life is irrevocably changed by two catastrophic personal discoveries, her diagnosis of cancer and the fate of her missing friend and flat mate. The novel deals in depth with Lily’s oncology treatment and is subsequently not for the faint hearted. I perhaps was not prepared for this and may have judged the novel too harshly. I found it way too long and disturbing. ,evoking memories too close to home. Perhaps I’m a little too sensitive, I need to harden up. Throw me another Paullina Simons and I may try to be kinder in my opinion.
Penny.




Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: