Wednesday 8 June 2011

Hatchet - Gary Paulsen

I first read Hatchet when I was 12 and I think I've probably re-read it about 5 times since then over the years.

This is a wilderness survival novel about Brian, your everyday suburban teen who is travelling to visit his father in Canada from the US. When the pilot flying the Cessna they are traveling in has a heart attack, Brain is flung into manhood and survival mode. He has to first land the plane in the Canadian wilderness and then struggle to survive in the wild, miles from civilisation and help, with only the Hatchet his mother gave him before he left.

Brian's mistakes and triumphs are captured in this novel along with his frustration and fear of never being rescued. I enjoyed reading about Brian's transformation from an unfit boy from the city into a man who has to kill for food and defend himself against dangerous animals. The part with the skunk was my favorite.

If you like Bear Grylls or nature documentaries, or even just stories about survival, I'd highly suggest this one to read. There is also a sequel - Hatchet: Winter which is fantastic too.

Jess



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: