Monday 6 June 2011

Zombies vs unicorns

With the release of the Twilight books the most current and pressing question on everyone’s lips is - are you a team Edward or team Jacob fan? Well I think it’s obvious … team Jacob of course!

But how would you fair in answering a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? This is just what this anthology edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier sets out to do. There are strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories written by a team of great authors (Garth Nix, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfield just to name a few) and before each story is a short snippet from the two authors' long standing blog debate about zombies and unicorns.

Now it might be my personal macabre leanings, but I thought that the zombie tales were particularly strong, I mean decomposing flesh and brain nomming can’t get much better huh? Although a Cabot’s rainbow farting unicorn does sound pretty cool and I have to say it almost had me leaning towards team unicorn. But everyone knows Zombies are so awesome - they could probably create Zombie unicorns and that would be the end to the debate.

This is a fun well written collection of stories, very entertaining – now I only wish they’d release a book to help me sort out the ultimate question – which is better - wizards or vampires?
Tara



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: